Friday, April 1, 2011

Chinglish

Here are some amusing signs I encountered on Hainan Island. I will update this as I get new specimens.

Oh dear, I wonder what lurks in the right hand bin.

This one didn't come out well, but the right hand bin (non-recyclables) is labelled Discontinue.
As opposed to violently scalds I suppose.

This was a hairdresser and requires some explanation. What the translator did was look up each character in the dictionary and substitute one of the English words obtained. The Chinese actually means Beautiful New Beauty Treatment Service Centre. Beautiful has been rendered as US (of A), Beauty Treatment has been split up and rendered as Justifications and Capacity. The result is of course a head-scratcher for those who can't read the Chinese characters.


This one isn't too bad actually, but for about 1.3 seconds I thought they might pay me to take the things,


Hairdryer bag. Another literal translation.


A small mistake, they have translated save as province.


They translated exit as exporter.


This one says Please Vote In Person At The Money. Sounds like a vote-buying politician, hehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment