Monday, October 24, 2011

The matchmaker

I had just finished my takeaway sushi lunch when I was accosted by an old lady. She spoke very rapid, accented Mandarin or even Shanghainese so I could only catch a word here and there. Bla bla bla, photograph, bla bla bla, want to see, bla bla bla, nine eighty three, bla bla bla. I was sure it wasn't anything I wanted so I kept waving my fingers side to side and shaking my head. Eventually she left me alone.

Wait a moment did she say 9/83? Ah, it dawned on me that she must be one of those parents mentioned in the guide who are supposed to prowl parks on weekends, trying to find a match for their children. 83, so she would be 28. I wondered if the young lady knew that her mother was trying to find her a husband. I had to laugh to myself.








No comments:

Post a Comment