Thursday, October 27, 2011

Leaving Gulou

It was time to return to Shanghai, I was flying out of China the day after. I had only allocated a couple of days to Hangzhou, manifestly inadequate, but no plan is ever perfect. Perhaps I would return some day.


I asked the friendly girl at the counter about buses to the station and she said that it was possible to walk there. I knew from my arrival that it was about a couple of km so I persisted with the question. She said that there weren't any direct buses, they all involved a bit of walking on either side of the bus trip and I had best take a taxi. This I accepted because it only cost 11 yuan, a couple of dollars for me.


I had originally planned to have breakfast on Hefang Street again, but realised that I should be able to find something to eat at the station to avoid backtracking. My train was for 1100 so I had lots of time. On the way out I took more pictures of the picturesque water channels. A municipal worker was clearing the silt from one while I was there.


This appears to be a piece of public art dedicated to the history of the city.


The inside of the Gulou Gate.


And the outside.


This shop was frying up Youtiao (油条, fried dough), a common Chinese breakfast food to accompany congee or soy milk.


At the railway station I found a shop serving Shuijiao (水餃, boiled dumplings in broth). All too soon it was time to board the high speed train.

No comments:

Post a Comment