Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Evening market

I napped the rest of the afternoon away. In the evening I went looking for dinner. I was trying to decide between trying something different like kebab from a Uighur (Muslim) restaurant I had seen on Gao Yin Street, or Beggar's Chicken from the hawkers' lane.


Fortunately the rain had not eventuated and folk were strolling on the pedestrian street and Hefang Street. The restaurants were brightly lit and well patronised.


I was on this street in the morning and the shops and stalls were still operating, now for the evening shoppers instead of the early birds.


A colourful tobacconist. The next photo is a Chinese fast food restaurant. The one on the left is the zong shop I ate breakfast at.


In the end I decided against the kebab; the premises didn't look interesting. So I had Beggar's Chicken at the hawkers' lane. While I was eating, a slightly deranged man wearing camouflage fatigues sat across me and started saying (I suspect) provocative things. Fortunately I understood little due to his thick accent. All the diners in the crowded lane avoided looking him in the eyes. He must have been the local crazy. The chicken was alright, but a bit too salty for my taste. It was small, a poussin. I kind of felt sorry for it.


For desert I had a mix of peach, mango and coconut in syrup. I suspect they all came out of tins.


Walking around I spotted a confectionery shop where peanut candy was made in the traditional way by pounding nuts with sugar and then slicing into squares to be sold in packets. I bought a packet and it was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment