Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Bund

The Bund (rhymes with fund) is the west bank of the Huangpu where foreign businesses set up when Shanghai was opened to foreign trade. Today a tourist walkway allows visitors to appreciate the historical buildings, the Huangpu and the new centre of gravity, Pudong, on the east side of the river. It is one, or perhaps the, major tourist destination of Shanghai. To reach it, I crossed Suzhou Creek again, this time by evening illumination. It was autumn, so the sun had set about 1730.


The Bund is just around the bend from here.


As it is elevated, it's not so impressive from road level.


Climb onto it and you get a good view of the historic buildings.


And the high-rises of Pudong on the other bank.


The old signal tower, now part of the Bund Museum.


I found my way back to East Nanjing Road, now lit by floodlights and neon.


To finish off the evening, I had an ice cream cone from Häagen-Dazs (a made-up name to sound foreign to USAns by the way). Then I caught the metro back to the hostel to retire as it was close to midnight by my body clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment