Monday, October 24, 2011

Sunday morning

I would have liked to sleep in but the bed was hard. Most of my dormmates were Chinese. Most of the foreigners were in doubles. In addition the hostel was gloomy because it had been a uniform factory so there were less inlets for light. I wondered if I had made a retrograde step by changing hostels. They did have a nice terrace where one could have a vantage point on the neighbourhood. There was a pair of resident cats but they were a bit skittish.


For breakfast I found an eatery nearly opposite the hostel and had xiaolongbao again. Very tasty, as expected. I think no Shanghainese restaurant would ever make bad xiaolongbao; it would be so shameful, it's a signature dish.


I killed some time reading The Catcher in the Rye, the second of two books I intended to read and jettison. The other was Teach Yourself Psychology, a very old edition from 1943 I had picked up at some disposal sale umpteen years ago. There were a couple of references to the war due to the year of publication.


When I emerged for lunch, Li Feng was still doing a roaring trade in the mall next to the temple.


I bought some bananas and takeaway sushi from the department store to eat in the mall. The prawn and crab sushi were quite good and had real crab meat, not seafood extender. It was under 6 AUD. The 4 bananas were just over 1 AUD.

No comments:

Post a Comment